Join our energetic and passionate team at the National Archives Foundation!
As the independent nonprofit that serves as the National Archives’ private-sector partner in the support of exhibitions, educational initiatives and public programs, your work with the Foundation will contribute to our mission to educate, enrich, and inspire a deeper appreciation of our country’s heritage through the records held in trust by the National Archives.
For 25 years, the Foundation’s support has made possible the National Archives Museum in Washington, DC and national efforts, which include: the Rotunda for the Charters of Freedom, the David M. Rubenstein Gallery and its “Records of Rights” exhibition, the “Public Vaults” exhibition, the Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery, the William G. McGowan Theater, Boeing Learning Center, the DocsTeach website, as well as regional and national advertising and marketing campaigns.
The Foundation offers opportunities for employment and internships with a competitive benefits package. Job postings are updated regularly. We welcome applications and inquiries.
Interested in an internship? We are always looking for candidates for communications, development, and special events interns. Send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered on a rolling basis. No calls.
The National Archives Foundation (NAF) is seeking a Director of Communications and Marketing. This position plays a vital role in fulfilling the Foundation’s mission by helping to shape how partners, corporate sponsors, donors, members, and the general public perceive and engage with the organization.
The Director of Communications and Marketing, as a member of the senior staff, will oversee the communications and marketing for NAF using a variety of communications tactics, earned media, as well traditional and online marketing channels to expand the profile of the Archives and NAF.
Scope and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement, and manage the comprehensive communications and messaging strategy with the Deputy Executive Director and the Communications and Partnership teams.
- Development of a national and local media outreach strategy and management of any and all media relationships as well as PR firms with Communications and Partnership Manager.
- Increasing media coverage of all NAF and Archives events, programs, and exhibitions and developing a diverse list of media outlets focusing on tier one publications.
- Management of video consultant ensuring completion of regular and assigned video projects like the NAF Gala video and development of collateral associated with rotating exhibits.
- Management of online marketing consultants and all print and online advertising, electronic media, and promotion activities.
- Development and management of NAF educational programming and outreach strategies for NAF and the Archives.
- Evaluate marketing research and develop marketing strategies and assist partnerships with travel and tourism bureaus like Destination DC and concierge, tourism, and hospitality companies.
- Managing NAF branding across all departments, especially marketing and communications
- Ensure the development of strong organizational communications materials, such as annual report, web copy, internal/external news articles, social media, talking points, marketing materials, etc.
- Collaborating with the Director of Retail and eCommerce to maximize sales, marketing, and consumer growth of the Archives online and in physical museum
- Managing the Marketing & Communications department budget.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in media and PR, Institutional communications, marketing and branding at a nonprofit, association, or corporation.
- Experience collaborating with federal government employees and staff as well as supervising contractors/vendors preferred.
- Experience working with Meltwater/Cision a plus.
- Strong social media and website skills a must, knowledge of Google AdWords a plus.
- Experience managing staff
- A passion for U.S. history, a commitment to education and civic engagement, and an enthusiasm for the mission of the Foundation and the National Archives.
How to apply
Position open immediately. Resumes reviewed on a rolling basis. Email resume, cover letter with salary preference, and three references (references will not be contacted unless the candidate is a finalist).
Deputy Executive Director
National Archives Foundation
700 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Room G-12 Washington, DC 20408